Friday, August 26, 2005

Bottom of the Hudson and the Holiday Machine


Download: Bottom of the Hudson--"Holiday Machine"

Is August the only month of the year without a major holiday? I can't think of any big ones...

Okay. Here's where I insert my witty segue about holidays and somehow tie it to the Bottom of the Hudson Holiday Machine EP on Absolutely Kosher. Hmmm...it's early and I'm out of segues. Well, it's a mighty fine EP; Entertainment Weekly called the title track (see above) a "sprawling triumph." Pitchfork Media gave the EP a 7.2, which, in the Rolling Stone scale, translates to three and a half stars and some change. Not too shabby!

Bottom of the Hudson is Eli Simon and a regular cast of characters. BOTH has been on something of a hot streak lately, purveying one-man indie rock the way it used to be. I think the guy is a pop genius (yes, genius) in the making. See for yourself!

Also, peep the review of John "Cage Match" Vanderslice's new one, Pixel Revolt, on Pitchfork today while you're at it. An 8.3! That's 4 stars plus in RS terms!

For the record, Peter Travers called me a "rollercoaster thrill ride!"

No comments: