Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Moonlight Towers


Download: Moonlight Towers--"I Sleep Alone"

Here is a nifty slab of rock classicism from Moonlight Towers, one of Austin's more exciting new(-ish) prospects. What I like about it is that the guys in Moonlight Towers wear their influences on their sleeves, but don't resort to rote regurgitation of old styles. I detect a bit of Memphis rock in there (Big Star et al.) which always pleases me to no end. And they like Badfinger, which is always a plus. Ham and Evans...man, those two never got any credit. Which is probably why they hung themselves.

Anyway, "I Sleep Alone" is a great rocker and worthy of some megabytes on your hard drive.

And a few of the Towers are from the "Golden Triangle" area of Mississippi, where I went to college. In West Point, MS, they have this truck stop there called the Tin Lizzie where I once ate a country-fried steak that was too big for my 12" plate! It hung over the sides! Oof...I'm still paying for that one.

If you're ever in West Point, MS, got Anthony's and get the stuffed primed rib. Maybe the best steak I've ever had.

No comments: