Monday, December 12, 2005

(the sounds of) kaleidoscope


Download: (the sounds of) kaleidoscope -- "Because I Am Haunted"
Download: (the sounds of) kaleidoscope -- "Certain Colour Sky"

(the sounds of) kaleidoscope (yes, that is how you have to spell their name!) are a DC band that plays the kind of shoegaze-y noise pop that I eat for breakfast. I just love this kind of stuff. This record reminds of all of the early Creation acts--My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Primal Scream--plus a healthy dose of Spacemen 3 and early Jesus and Mary Chain. In other words, it’s gold. This is the kind of essential music that I’m glad rears its head every couple of years in the form of some hot new band. (the sounds of) kaleidoscope really pull it off, never sounding tired and derivative; this stuff rocks and is truly three-dimensional.

Plus, some of these guys played with the Lilys, and that’s a good thing.

Another batch of The Hot Rock brought to you by Team Clermont.

No comments: