Tuesday, April 18, 2006


I've been the owner of some highly questionable cassettes and even a few cassingles. Examples abound, one of the most egregious being the Color Me Badd single, I Wanna Sex You Up. The newly revamped allmusic's review of the full-length C.B.D. sure doesn't read like the 4 1/2 stars they give it. And, it's true, as a former co-worker pointed out, that having come out in 1991, which would made me 13, I should have known better by that point. But, come on, don't you remember how they all wore different colored suits?

Anyway, at this point I've purged my cassette collection of pretty much any incriminating late 80s early 90s purchases (though I don't remember doing it) and am left with a rather odd collection of grindcore mixtapes, cassette only releases from noise/extremely DIY labels, tapes picked up over the years too good to let go, and the various cassettes I purchased from thrift stores last year as I was very willfully rejecting the ipod, which I've since embraced shamelessly.

Cleaning up my room earlier today, I extracted these tapes from a cardboard box in the corner...

-David Bowie - Low
-David Bowie - Lodger
-David Bowie - Scary Monsters
-Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
-Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism (that's right, cassette)
-Led Zeppelin - III
-Love Tractor - S/T
-Love Tractor - Around The Bend (both LT albums on a 'Double Play Cassette')
-New Order - Low-Life
-Prince - Dirty Mind (contains 'when you were mine' eligible for best song ever status)
-Prince - Controversy (not his best, but damn that's a hot title track)
-The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
-Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A.

Quite the baker's dozen, eh? Not only does this list contain 3 albums from my favorite Bowie period, my favorite Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin albums, and an underrated Stones' record, but cassette is the only format I've got any of these in. I think I'll be dusting off the walkman this week.

'Cropper readers (all six of you) tell us what cassettes of yours have survived in your collection to this year of the future, 2006.

*driving home tonight, I realized that Sonic Youth, Goo has been stuck in my 1984 Honda Civic stationwagon for at least 5 years.

6 comments:

like a eagle said...

i still have every cassette tape going back to pre-junior high...luckily my brother had genius taste in music, so most of the old ones are mix tapes with some seriously gangster shit on them....

favorite tapes:
Da Lench Mob - Guerillas in the Mist
Nation of Ulysses - Plays Pretty for Baby
Breakwater 7"s mix tape

I can't wait to get to Boulder and get them out of storage and listen to every single one of them (hundreds)....

yer old friend Mels said...

I still have the Xanadu soundtrack casset. I'm not completely sure if this is cool or not...

Team Clermont Lucas said...

Best Easter ever: I got Whitesnake's big record (the one with the hits on it) and INXS' Kick on tape in my Easter basket.

My favorite cassettes in my collection:
Jesus and Mary Chain--Darklands (no case)
Genesis--Invisible Touch
Sugar--Copper Blue
The Cure--Faith/Carnage Visors

Mame said...

If loving the Xanadu soundtrack is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Mame said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mame said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.