Friday, May 19, 2006

Two things that pissed me off

There were (at least) two things that happened yesterday that really pissed me off...Both of which were products of my own doing. I can't remember what the first thing was. Oh wait, just remembered it. You know how dreams are usually shrouded in mystery and you're not exactly quite sure what they mean, or if you're brain is trying to tell you something, or if the seemingly random series of events that take place in your dreams are, in fact, simply random? Yeah, and it's cool to sort of revel in that mystery, maybe even try to decode them or tell friends about the ones that involve them in some way. But recently I've had two dreams that were so obviously based upon events and thoughts that happened in recent reality that there was nothing to be decoded....no mystery unsolved. I don't really know why it pisses me off. I guess I want myself to challenge myself to think a bit more. I won't go into the details of dreams because they probably don't involve you (which means that no matter how interested you might pretend to be in them, you really aren't) and because they were rather uneventful.

The other thing that pissed me off probably shouldn't have pissed me off. Last night, I woke up from a nap at about 9pm, still a bit tired from playing a rock show with friends Candy Bars and The Winter Sounds the night before. Before getting into the shower, I put on Scott Solter's One River and turned it up loud enough to cut through the water droplets hitting the pool of water that would surely accumulate in my clogged tub. It's become an unofficial ritual of mine, putting on Scott Solter's album and getting ready in the dark. I work about 60 hours a week and I'm usually stressed and tired. Solter's album is relaxing enough to remind me to breathe deeply and chill for a sec and at the same time engaging enough to keep me interested. There is at least one element that runs throughout this collection of ambient guitar work--the pieces all present this sense of importance. I realize that such a statement is pretty vague considering that "importance" is a really subjective word and it's tough to conceptualize auditory "importance."

I don't know if it's the way that this album continually but briefly harkens back to previous themes while continuing to move along (the album is reportedly intended to reflect the movement of water) or if it's simply the tremendous production value and magnetic guitar tones found on this instrumental album that screams "importance," but it certainly feels as though Solter is miles ahead of the ambient curve in terms of his ability to maintain some sort of structure and thematic presence without the use of loops and whatnot. It sounds as though he's actually "saying" something important...quite a feat considering that 98% of people making music today are saying nothing at all (even/especially the ones that use words....most of them shouldn't bother if they're not going to put an ounce of thought into the words that they choose to throw together). It's rare to find someone making ambient music that retains some semblance of structure and thematic presence without the use of loops and whatnot. I don't know how he found the patience...but maybe I'm just stressed.

Oh, right. So then I got pissed off. Because during the third track of One River my alarm clock went off and began playing some relatively recent and terrible Don Henley song. I don't remember exactly which one it was, I just know that it didn't meld well with Solter. Crappy stuff and amazing stuff don't mix I suppose. It was my fault. The alarm clock, that is. I had mistakenly set my alarm for 9:05pm instead of 9:05am. Then it all made sense. That's why I woke up without the help of my alarm clock that morning. I thought my clock was just screwy. But it turns out it was just the few cape cods from the night before that caused me to mix up my A.M. and P.M.

No comments: