Monday, June 26, 2006

Phobos!


Download: Foma -- “Kurt’s Theme” MP3
Download: Foma -- “Soft Rains” MP3
Download: Foma -- “Don’t Burn Babies” MP3

Out of New Mexico rolls Foma, a lilting and delicate indie pop band enamored with beauty and niceness. Some have compared them to Grandaddy, Stars, and Broken Social Scene, but I hear something different in there that’s harder to place. Maybe it's just that it seems more organic and heartfelt. I’ll be thinking on it! Check out these great tracks. I think everybody is missing out on these guys!

The band's new album, by the way, is called Phobos, which reminded me of how much I love the moons of Mars, Phobos and Deimos. I like the idea that they were asteroids that Mars just happened to pick up, these huge, goofy irregular lumps out there riding Mars' coattails. I think it'd be pretty cool if we picked up another moon. Yep, pretty freaking cool.

No comments: