Tuesday, January 16, 2007

It's time for a comeback, Chi-Ali!


Lately, I have become obsessed with compiling the hip-hop songs of my youth, particularly those that saw success from 1989-1992. I keep finding the same artists pop up on the list: Young MC, Tone-Loc, and Kool Moe Dee always seem to find their way on whatever party playlist I put together.

About two months ago I began planning a playlist for my going away party, and while perusing the internet for a few more suggestions, I started following the links that took me from Onyx to House of Pain to Black Sheep, until I stumbled across the name Chi-Ali.

Images of animated roadrunners and large green-screened kittens instantly hopped into my head, just at the thought of The Fabulous Chi-Ali. He was only fourteen years old at the time that he became the youngest member of the Native Tongues, the group of artists including A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and many more. After appearing on Black Sheep's first album, Chi-Ali released his solo debut in 1992, titled The Fabulous Chi-Ali. It was the only album he released, but the video made for the hit single 'Roadrunner', has quickly become one of my favorites from the time period.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yo man it's gonna be tough since he's in prison for murder.