Monday, February 12, 2007

7 questions with Andrew Spencer Goldman of the Fulton Lights

Download: Fulton Lights—“Fire in the Palm of My Hand” MP3

This was going to be on of our IMing With The Stars features, but I clicked on the wrong button and lost the whole IM conversation (after losing half of the previous interview with a mysterious AIM connection problem). So Andy and had to resort to the ol' fashioned quickie email interview. Maybe Andy and I can reconvene soon and do this up proper. Anyway, here is the interview with Mr. Fulton Lights himself, Mr. Andrew Spencer Goldman:

1. So...do you consider the Fulton Lights a band or a one man project?

Well it's definitely not a one man project. There are people playing with Fulton Lights without whom I could not work. Steve Silverstein, Rob Christiansen, those two guys have been essential. Pat Muchmore has been a rock. On the other hand, we're definitely not a band in
the conventional dudes-in-a-basement making democratic decisions about the music. I'm always open to suggestions and frequently ask for them, but ultimately I know that with this project I'm the motor that keeps it going. I am the cheese?

2. You lived in DC. Is the scene there as intense as everybody thinks it is? Were you allowed to have beers?

Ha. Um, no. Contrary to popular belief they are not all Straight Edge Quakers. I miss the places I used to hang out. I used to rip shit on the mic at Galaxy Hut karaoke night. I bumped into Ian
MacKaye at Whole Foods once, and he was all, "you killed it on 'Rapper's Delight' last night!" Scout's honor.

3. Why do you think it's so hard for people to come up with interesting questions in rock and roll interviews?

Stop smokin' that weed, son.

4. The record is named after the lights on Fulton Street, right? How has geography, specifically your Brooklyn surroundings, affected the tone of the album?

The songs are infused with different elements of the city as I experience it. The subway rumbling right under the apartment, the train screeching on the tracks, the buzz and hum of the electricity, the overhwelming hugeness of New York. All of that stuff soaks in. I
think I'm the kind of person that is very much affected by my surroundings. It's entirely possible or even likely that if I had spent the last five years living in rural Georgia that the album would have reflected an entirely different set of sounds and energies. Or even living in a different city. Every city has its own energy and its own sounds.

5. You were in two other bands, John Guilt and Maestro Echoplex, and had a modicum of success with them...it's been a few years: what's different about the whole being-in-a-band rigmarole this time around?

Well for one thing I'm a few years older now. I'm trying not to waste time, which is not to say I wasted any time before. I had many great experiences with Maestro Echoplex and John Guilt. But I can feel a new focus and intensity that maybe wasn't so fully developed before,
or maybe an urgency would be a better way to describe it. I also feel that my songwriting has grown to a point where I'm beginning to be more accurately able to express myself in a way that is uniquely me. For a songwriter, that's everything. It's a good feeling.

6. What's your favorite place to eat on the road? I'm talking restaurant and meal.

Anywhere that isn't fast food.

7. What is the most abysmal show you've ever attended?

I've seen some stinkers, for sure. But it'd be poor form of me to talk bad about someone else doing what they do. I guess the only truly abysmal shows are the ones where people are just fakin' it. That's just plain ol' offensive.
-----------------

Fulton Lights' self-titled debut will be available soon on Android Eats records and on limited edition vinyl on Catbird Records

No comments: