Monday, February 26, 2007

Bikeride.


Download: Bikeride - "Hideaways"

Many things have surprised me about today's featured band. When I first heard that we would be working with Bikeride, I did my initial search on AllMusic, only to find out that I have apparently been missing out on something really good. The previous three albums were all 4 stars or better on AMG, and those came from three different writers. An impressive feat for Tony Carbone, who has been putting out records since 1997 under the moniker Bikeride, and the latest, "The Kiss", is slowly inching its way into my subconscious.

"The Kiss" is one of those records that really is all over the place. Starting off with the warbly, dreamy "There's Something Odd About Elizabeth", the record finds itself going east, with what appear to be tablas and sitar on "Your Lips and You", and then to the twangy rock of "A Dancer's Feet are Not so Neat." And that's just three songs. Propulsive drumming, wild keys and horns drive my favorite song on the record, "Podiaphobia", something the band describes as "70's prog-rock a la Spinal Tap", and I agree with that synopsis.

The song "Hideaways" is the song linked above, and is one of the purest, catchiest pop songs I have heard this year, disguised as a waltz freak-out. You'll have to hear it to believe it.

And, if you happen to live in the SoCal, check out this Bikeride performance:

Di Piazza's (21+)
5205 E. Pacific Coast Hwy, Long Beach, CA
with Hell at Night, The Thingz, Digital Unicorn

And, one last bit of media to throw at you, a video put together by Ground Control Magazine, featuring interviews and clips of the band performing/practicing.


No comments: