Friday, March 02, 2007

Killer! Killer!

A couple of days ago a friend of mine pointed out that I might be Indian. I had never noticed before. But over the past few days, I have been looking around this town, and noticing how often I see my Indian culture being co-opted. Girls wearing bindis on their foreheads, handmade silk saris turned into curtain, purses with a screened image of Ganesh, and Tazo Iced Chai lattes. So I started to get extremely angry at you Americans for stealing everything that I my people hold dear.

Until today, when I was first introduced to the video below. It hit me, that those silly East Indians and their 'Bollywood' film industry has been bogarting the Americans for a much longer time.



So everytime I see that a large clothing store chain has manufactured sandals with images of Hindu gods on the soles, I will just bite my lip and imagine how violated Michael Jackson must have been when he first saw that yellow-eyed monster yelling "Killer! Killer!"

No comments: