Thursday, May 17, 2007

Oklahoma.


A few years ago, I saw Wilco play at the Granada Theater in Dallas. They played a fantastic set, and during the show, my friends and I met a couple of really nice folks from Oklahoma. They drove down just to see the show, and they were extremely nice, so we invited them to have a couple of drinks with us afterwards. Once we got to the bar, Derek asked me where he could find the nearest Motel 6. Given that I was in a great mood, and had a few drinks in my system, I offered my apartment as a resting place before they made the drive back to Norman. I had to go to work in the morning, and trusted that Derek and Victoria would lock up behind themselves and not steal anything. I liked them that much.

So, last year, when Wilco played in Fort Worth at the Will Rogers Auditorium, I sent Derek a message asking if he'd be coming down. He did, with a friend that I had not met before, Matt. We met up after the show, had countless drinks at The Double Wide, talked about Matt's displeasure with American cheese, pizza, Diet Coke and much more. We discussed Townes Van Zandt, the bird sewn on to the shoulder of Derek's jacket, and finally, as the lights came up, Derek asked again where the nearest Motel 6 was. I was having none of it, and again, they stayed at my place. We stayed up until 7am, drinking vodka, talking about records and film, and finally, I had to go to work again.

I bore with you with this story because I want to share a video and a website. The video is a fake news program that Derek directed and stars in, all filmed in the News 9 Studio in Oklahoma City. Watch for Derek saying "all the words that you've been conditioned to hear in a real forecast."



Also, take a look at some of the art and music at Derek's site.

Matthew Alvin Brown, despiser of American Cheese, also created a film called "Rainbow in the Sun" based on an album of the same name. Here's the preview for that endeavor:



That concludes yet another tribute to friends in The Texahoma area. I hope not to subject you to another for several months.

No comments: